You know we all just really mean well when it comes to our friends. But sometimes we just happen to say the wrong thing. We love our friends and want to see them happy and to find the love we have. But just because they are single doesn’t mean they’re on the search for a new romance or even a date. There are plenty of happy singles who just want to stay unattached, so even if you’re only trying to help, maybe just take a moment to rethink what you were going to say and just not say it. Here are some common things that married or attached friends say to their single friends:
- “You are too picky” – Some people know what they want and aren’t willing to compromise. That doesn’t mean they’re too picky, it means they understand how important finding the right partner is and if they’d rather be single than in a bad relationship, who are we to judge?
- “Your clock is ticking” – Even if you KNOW your friend wants kids, reminding her that her fertile years are slipping by will not help. Some women don’t want to be moms, some do and can’t be, but reminders like this are anything but helpful.
- “He’s/she’s out there somewhere” – Sure, their partner may be out there, but how do you know? This generic platitude doesn’t do any good, so no need to tell it to your single friend.
- “You should…” – Unless your friend asks for your advice, keep your hot tips/personal opinions to yourself.
- “Let me set you up with…” – Again, unless your pal specifically asks you to do this, just don’t. If your single friend is dating, they’ll meet people, so why would the singles you know be better than the ones they find themselves? You’re not a matchmaker, so just be a friend.
Read More HERE